Nuclear Reactor Containment Vessels, Fuel Rod Encasement
- All SiC Ceramic Matrix Composites (CMC's) and over-braiding with SiC CMC would provide additional structural support and increase the margin of safety compared to all-metal designs in LWRs and BWRs.
Biaxial and Triaxial Braid Configuration
- Triaxial braid and biaxial braids for all SiC CMC and SiC – Zr4 Hybrid designs are in the early stages of evaluation of fuel rods (U.S. Department of Energy, Idaho National Laboratory).
Nuclear Reactor Components
- Nuclear reactor component materials require very high use-temperatures and resistance to exposure to high radiation levels. Nuclear reactor components may be protected further from excessive heat with Fi-BarTM integrated into their construction. Due to Fi-BarTM’s high thermal conductivity, ability to maintain its mechanical strength when subjected to radiation, and low neutron cross-section make it an ideal material for use in traditional and fusion reactors.
Oil & Gas Industry Piping and Tanks
– The Oil and Gas industry is constantly seeking ways to deal with high temperatures and pressures during exploration, extraction, handling and storage of petroleum products. High pressure piping with Fi-BarTM tubing integrated into the piping and tanks may significantly enhance the strength, pressure, and temperature limits compared to existing materials.
– Heat exchangers are exposed to very high temperatures and the materials used to fabricate them are constantly under stress. Because the upper use temperature of Fi-BarTM exceeds 4,000° F we expect to greatly enhance the material life cycle of heat exchangers with the addition of tube-formed Fi-BarTM specifically designed for piping applications.
Wind Turbine Blades and Structural Towers
- The durability and longevity of wind turbine blades will be significantly enhanced by the addition of Fi-BarTM on the leading edge of the turbine blades. The effects of weather, friction, and temperature diminish the blade surface gradually reducing the overall efficiency of the system.
"Transforming the Reinforced Materials Marketplace!"