ACF'S Fi-BarTM fiber has specialty applications within five primary areas, including: Infrastructure, Transportation, Energy, Aerospace, Defense, and Industrial market sectors. The drop-down menu provides examples of the applications the ACF team foresees for deploying Fi-BarTM fibers within the five target markets. In each case, the high performance characteristics of Fi-BarTM, high tensile strength (800 ksi), high use temperature (>4,000 deg. F), and with greater resistance to fatigue and corrosion, significantly enhances the performance characteristics of the base metal used as a composite.
- Applications include high voltage transmission line replacement and new construction, associated transmission towers, bridges, commercial structural materials (beams and trusses), and fire-resistant walls and barriers. ACF's unique "Self-Supporting Composite Conductor (SSCCTM)" will revolutionize future cable system design and fabrication.
- New regulatory requirements are adding more restrictions, emissions controls, and efficiency requirements for all modes of transportation, including: trucks, autos, trains, aircraft, and shipping industry. Innovations in new composite materials will play a major role in attaining these national priority goals, by making the vehicles lighter, stronger, cleaner, and more fuel efficient.
- Much attention is being focused on the construction techniques related to new nuclear power plants, with enhanced emphasis on "safety". These plants, and their components, are exposed to very high temperatures, pressures, and radioactivity, requiring specialty materials and innovative design concepts. ACF will be working with contractors within the nuclear industry to explore ways to incorporate Fi-BarTM into the construction of reactor vessels, nuclear fuel rods shields, and other reactor components to increase their performance characteristics in this extreme environment.
- Extreme forces of heat, stress, pressure, and fatigue are ever-present in the aerospace industry. Opportunities exist to apply Fi-BarTM fibers to specialty metals to enhance the material characteristics further expanding the limits and forces experienced in the aerospace market. This technology is applicable to commercial aircraft, space exploration, and defense markets.
- Protecting our armed forces personnel around the world and providing our military with the best equipment available is essential for our national security. ACF's "Multi-Layer Armor Suppression System" (MASSTM) utilizes a unique armor structure that can mitigate explosive blasts and projectiles. Developing newer explosive resistant materials for lightweight personnel vehicles, improved personal armor protection, and blast resistant buildings and structures can all be enhanced by the integration of Fi-BarTM fibers due to their significant strength and high use temperatures.
"Transforming the Reinforced Materials Marketplace!"